|For a century after the death of the Revd. John Noble, there
is very little information available on life at Scorton. He was succeeded
as Headmaster by the revd Edward Holmes who in turn was followed in 1799
by William Bowe, who stayed until 1837. He was also curate of catterick
in charge of Bolton on Swale church from 1791 until 1812.
At a public enquiry on the school later it was stated that under Mr. Bowe the school had been "In a flourishing state" and by the standards of the time there is no reason to disbelieve this. The school remained open throughout this period and from 1822 there is a record of the trustees meeting regularly and carrying out the routine business of the school, such as the administration of the estates from which it drew its revenue and the regular allocation of grants to apprentices under the codicil to Leonard Robinson's will
The school was apparently at this time serving a useful function in supplying aducation to local boys, some of whome were the sons of villagers, and some of whome were no doubt the sons of local farmers. Very elementary education seems to have been available, at least towards the end of this period, for the more fortunate at Bolton-On-Swale, and learning of a more advanced nature (including Latin) was available at Scorton.
Quite often applications were made for the grant which were not successful. Two applications were made in 1845, one from Philip Bennison, grocer of Scorton, and in June an application for a grant of £10 was made on behalf of Rowland Nicholson, and despite several further applications, this grant had not been made by 1849 because the boy had not learned Latin. By this time he was 19 years old and employed as a mason in the Duke of Northumberland's quarry at Gatesby Moor.
Most of the information available on the early and mid nineteenth century is connected with school and estate administration and though sometimes enlightening it is rather fragmentary and difficult to piece together. In 1822 a new minute book was bought for the trustees at £1-11-6d and this very sturdy volume was in use until 1949. There was often trouble with the tenants on the school estate and the records for the late 1820's and the 1830's show that this was a particularly difficult period in this respect.
In 1833 a certain Mr Terry was paid £2-10-0d for repairing and setting up the school clock (Not the present clock) and in the following year he received £3 0 0d for guilding the clock hands and figures.
In 1835, the school weathercock was erected at a cost of £2-15-6d
Regular repairs to fabric of the school carried cut throughout this period. For example in the record for 1837, on February 20th on estimate was required from Carey the Mason for "that the old Privies should be pulled down and "Another 4 holes built for the boys''. At the same time old walls were to be pulled down and a wall was to be built round the Garden. Two other "privies" were to be built. at the back of School House for Mr. Cumby the newly appointed Master, and a shed adjoining the stable was to be roofed. Repairs to windows were also needed.
It is not until 1859 that there is any further unusual record in the life of the school. Until this date there was a gallery in Bolton Church which was used by the boys, and on January 13th 1859, the trustees agreed to this being pulled down, provided there was sufficient accommodation for the boys in another part of the church. During the alterations, the school was to be used for church services.
On the retirement of Mr. Bowe in 1837, the Revd Anthony Cumby had become Master and during the time of his association with the school it gradually declined and was eventually closed altogether, and his post became a sinecure. During the 1950's attendance at the school was very small and one source states 'that by 1859 it was completely closed. No doubt it was as good as closed, but from available data, one cannot say with certainty that the school was closed until 1862.
In 1862 'the Trustees still claimed to to hold Mr. Cumby in high esteem and it was their ambition, under 'their chairman Lord Teignmouth to develop the school as an "excellent school" for Farmers sons. There was dissatisfaction, however, with the usher (second master), an old man who who had been at the school for over forty years, and the Trustees were of the opinion "that on account of his and inefficiency he should retire altogether from the school, upon such a pension as may be agreed upon".
It is therefore not surprising that in 1863 there there is no record
of an usher at the school, and that the salary paid to Mr. Cumby is suddenly
referred to an an annuity paid to him as the late master.